Pages

Thursday 24 September 2015

What I learn from my visit to Thailand

“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” 

                                                                                                                - Aldous Huxley


I’ve just got back from my 5-day trip to the Land of Smiles, Thailand. My friend bought Air Asia deal that included return tickets and hotel for 4 nights – which only cost Rp. 2.000.000,- (then we purchased baggage and added an extra Rp.200,000 ++).
We were excited because we never went there before. And yet, we were scared as there was a bombing in one of the most crowded shrine, the Erawan shrine. It was on our itinerary list as well. Everyone kept telling me not to go but yeah, we insisted. Luckily we got home safe and sound. *Fiuhh!

You see, when you travel to another place, you get to experience their life, their culture, and what they believe. And these are the values I learned from my visit to Bangkok, Thailand.

1. A religious country

For me, Thai people are very religious. You will never see a shrine empty; day or night, rain or shine, big or small. Everywhere you go, the shrines can be seen almost in any spots – in front of the malls, next to an alley turn, etc.


Thai people also love their King. His Majesty King is portrayed as a loving and caring king for the people. Many people, foreigners especially, felt curious on this topic. However, once you know the history on how he put his people first for their benefits; you will finally realize why they love him dearly.

2. Thai people are friendly (well, at least most of them)

I often heard people say that Thai people aren’t so welcomed especially the stand owners. "If you don’t buy their goods, you better not to touch the stuffs", one of my friend advised me. But what happened during my shopping in Pratunam morning market was different. We touched, we felt the fabric materials, we discussed the price in front of the shop before we decided Not to buy. And yeah, nothing happened to us. (to say the least, they didn't throw rocks at us).

I was lucky to catch the Changing Guards Ceremony at 10 a.m!!
On the photo: The Royal Guards are marching towards the Palace Entrance

The same thing happened when we visited the Grand Palace. We must go through strict security check point but everything went well. A guard who checked my backpack with detector smiled at me. The detector caught something in my bag because it made a beeping sound.

He then asked me, “What is this?”
While I opened my backpack, I said to him, “I think it’s my power bank.”
I showed it to him and he replied, “Ah, no bomb then. Boom!”
Funny smiley guard…
By the way, you need to go to the Grand Palace, as early as possible to avoid long queue!


3. You need to speak Tarzan language
I started to compare Bangkok to Bali, especially how the people speak to tourists. You see, Balineses are excellent English speakers. Tourists would find it easier for them to ask for directions or when they need help with something. However, it’s totally different in Bangkok. Even in tourist attractions, none of them speak English, like...at all!

We went to Chatuchak weekend market and our calculator has been our dictionary. I can't really make a conversation other than asking for a good bargain. "One twentyyyy. Noooo... Two twentyyyyyy" And the story goes on....

Chatuchak is a huge huge weekend market. In fact, it is the largest weekend market in the world!
It's very easier to get lost in the alleys than to find what you're looking for. However, the market is worth the walk! Each section is divided into categories, like Shoes, Clothes, Vintage, etc.

This map should explains how huge the market is.
courtesy: Bangkok.com

We were also mistaken 10 Baht for 8 Baht because we heard the Moo Ping seller said, “Eight”. We bought 3 grilled pork, handed 24 Bahts, and she pointed on our coins, asked for another 10 Bahts on my palm, and gave me back my 4 Bahts. *You do the Maths!

The other day we went for a dinner in a mall. I wanted to eat Chicken Rice but I can’t eat any other parts except chicken breast.

And the ‘Tarzanic’ conversation began…
“I want this one (pointing on the chicken rice yummy pic). But I want the breast part.”
Seller looked at me, confused.
I asked him, “Can I choose the chicken part?”
He pointed on the picture, and he tapped his thigh and say, “This, is this.”
And I said, “I want this part,” while tapping my chest.
Then he said, “Okay.”
Good Lord! Never thought it would be that ‘easy’ to ask for, well, breast!

Oh, the same thing happened when we ate at McDonalds. It was late at night and we just arrived, and we’re starving to death. You just never thought that this franchise frenzy could give us difficulty when ordering.
“Can we choose our chicken part?”
“What?!”
“I want this.” – while tapping on my (again), chest.
She said, “No. Only this and this.” – while tapping on her thigh and then mimicking a flying bird (you know what this means)
“Oh, I want pork Burger then,” while pointing on the picture of large burger, with fries and drink.
“Egg?” she asked.
“No,” I said
We finally ordered pork burgers, no egg.
Somehow, our items showed up with eggs. (Not sure which part of “NO” means “YES”).

4. You can walk anywhere
Thank God for the transportation infrastructure in Thailand! It's never confusing at all. Most tourist attractions can be reached via BTS Skytrain, Bus, and your feet (I'll never forget how we walk miles and miles to get where we want.)
We're just never get tired of taking our pictures....


No comments:

Post a Comment